If you have already purchased this module, please login.
Otherwise, please purchase the module.
Congratulations – You have access.
- Instructions – Detailed instructions from start to finish along with the tips, techniques & clever tricks.
- Reference – Handpicked (printable) reference material to inspire and assist.
- Video – A video showing you each of the steps.
- Community – Details of the social media hashtag to use for the module.
1. What do I get?
Video – A video showing you each of the steps.
Instructions – Detailed instructions from start to finish along with the tips, techniques & clever tricks.
Reference – Handpicked (printable) reference material to inspire and assist.
Top tip – Print out the ‘Reference’ images first so that you have them in front of you whilst watching the video 🙂
Community – Details of the social media hashtag to use for the module.
2. What materials do I need?
Each module lists the suggested materials that are required for its completion.
3. How do I access the modules?
Once you have purchased a modules, you will receive an email which contains the links to the corresponding video, instructions & reference.
You can also access them by logging in and going to the My Account section of this website.
4. How long do I have access to the modules?
There is no deadline so you can take as long as you like!
5. How long does each module last?
Each module should take approximately 2 hours to complete however this can be much shorter or longer depending on your preference.
6. How can I ask Jennie specific questions?
Ask Jennie via Twitter / Facebook / Instagram or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your question 🙂
7. Can I participate from outside the UK?
Of course! The more widespread the better.
8. What is my username?
Your username is derived from the first part of your email address. E.g. ‘email@example.com’ will result in a username of ‘jennie’.
9. How to give Sketchbook Club as a present?
If you would like to buy a module as a present for someone else, purchase a Gift Voucher which can then be redeemed by them on the website.
10. How to print Reference Material?
If you do not have A4, use Legal size 8.5″ by 14″.
- First of all, print out the reference sheets and choose some bugs!
- Next, trace over the chosen insects with your pencil, press quite firmly so the lines are nice and dark.
- Then place the image upside-down on your sketchbook page in the position you would like your bug and scribble over the back.
This will transfer the bug to your page.
- Next, cut out a piece of tissue that feels the right colour for the insect, bright yellow tissue for a bee or a pale blue for a butterfly for example.
Trace over the image with pencil again, just the outline this time and very gently so the tissue does not tear.
- Now cut this out carefully and stick it onto the pencil rubbing on your sketchbook page, using a glue stick (and very gently so the tissue does not tear).
- You should still be able to see your pencil markings through the tissue. in order to draw over them using your fine liner.
Taking care to follow the reference, start to draw on all the details of the bug. Feel free to use a bit of paint or coloured pencil here and there too.
You might want to use a few pages from old books as collage, wings look particularly beautiful created this way.
You could also think about adding more colour or details, either with paints or with coloured pencils…
This spread is quite a long one, I spent a few days on mine, popping back to add another insect whenever I had 5 minutes to myself.
When you have finished, simply stand back and admire your beautiful bugs spread…
Do share your ideas – I cant wait to see what you create!
To access the reference images, click on the thumbnails below.
Or download a PDF of all of the images here.
You will need the following materials…
- Black Fine Liner Pen
- Pack of coloured tissue (I bought mine from my local supermarket)
- Glue stick
- Optional – Paints and coloured pencils
One of the best things about being part of Sketchbook Club, is the fabulous way we can all show each other our Sketchbook pages. It’s so wonderful to get instant feedback about your artwork, not only is it hugely confidence building (very important!) but it is also a great way to ask people’s opinions and seek advice.
This module’s Instagram hashtag is #SketchbookClubBugs.
You might like to check out everyone else’s pages for inspiration before you start…[/groups_can]