If you have already purchased this module, please login.
Otherwise, please purchase the module.
Congratulations – You now have access to the module.
- Instructions – Detailed instructions from start to finish along with the tips, techniques & clever tricks.
- Reference – Handpicked (printable) reference material to inspire and assist.
- Video – A video showing you each of the steps.
- Community – Details of the social media hashtag to use for the module.
Top tip – Print out the ‘Reference’ images first so that you have them in front of you whilst watching the video 🙂Frequently Asked Questions
1. What do I get?
Video – A video showing you each of the steps.
Instructions – Detailed instructions from start to finish along with the tips, techniques & clever tricks.
Reference – Handpicked (printable) reference material to inspire and assist.
Top tip – Print out the ‘Reference’ images first so that you have them in front of you whilst watching the video 🙂
Community – Details of the social media hashtag to use for the module.
2. What materials do I need?
Each module lists the suggested materials that are required for its completion.
3. How do I access the modules?
Once you have purchased a modules, you will receive an email which contains the links to the corresponding video, instructions & reference.
You can also access them by logging in and going to the My Account section of this website.
4. How long do I have access to the modules?
There is no deadline so you can take as long as you like!
5. How long does each module last?
Each module should take approximately 2 hours to complete however this can be much shorter or longer depending on your preference.
6. How can I ask Jennie specific questions?
Ask Jennie via Twitter / Facebook / Instagram or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your question 🙂
7. Can I participate from outside the UK?
Of course! The more widespread the better.
8. What is my username?
Your username is derived from the first part of your email address. E.g. ‘email@example.com’ will result in a username of ‘jennie’.
9. How to give Sketchbook Club as a present?
If you would like to buy a module as a present for someone else, purchase a Gift Voucher which can then be redeemed by them on the website.
10. How to print Reference Material?
If you do not have A4, use Legal size 8.5″ by 14″.
- Firstly, print out all the reference sheets.
You will see I have chosen some images of various ways people have drawn waves and the sea.
- Choose one which you are inspired by, one you can really imagine yourself drawing.
Here I have chosen a quite illustrative version of the sea, but some are much more simple and graphic.
If a child is working on this page, encourage them to choose one of the more simpler images to work from.
- Make the waves go up to about a third of the way into your spread horizontally.
If you have chosen to paint, mix a nice selection of different shades of blues and greens, try adding a drop pf yellow to a dark blue and the same to some light for example.
If using pencils, keep them nice and sharp for good definition.
- When the waves are complete, it’s time to select a few fishes to copy.
You might like to draw these with your fine liner to keep it quite graphic.
Or you may decide some bursts of colour would be nice.
Keep the fish forming a semi circle shape, this will just make the composition more pleasing.
- I would recommend leaving the background white, the sea is quite busy and it gives the detail of the fish some breathing space.
So there you have it, drawing the sea now doesn’t seem so impossible, you might like to try out a few of your own interpretations, maybe next time you’re on holiday?
To access the reference images, click on the thumbnails below.
Or download a PDF of all of the images here.
You will need the following materials…
- Blue colouring pencils
- Fine liner pen
- Gouache paints
- Size 1 paint brush
- Size 6 paint brush
One of the best things about being part of Sketchbook Club, is the fabulous way we can all show each other our Sketchbook pages. It’s so wonderful to get instant feedback about your artwork, not only is it hugely confidence building (very important!) but it is also a great way to ask people’s opinions and seek advice.
This module’s Instagram hashtag is #SketchbookClubFish.
You might like to check out everyone else’s pages for inspiration before you start…